Friday, November 30, 2007

Goodbye, November


A lot of writers post poetry on Fridays. It even have a name: Poetry Friday. I'm not going to join that group, but I do want to post a poem today. The Writer has always loved this poem since she first came across it in The Egg and I, by Betty MacDonald. This poem is a good way to send off November!

No sun--no moon--no morn--no noon,
No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day,

No warmth--no cheerfulness--no healthful ease,

No road, no street, no t'other side of the way,

No comfortable feel in any member--

No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,

No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, November!

Thomas Hood

I don't get it. What does it mean? Poems are always so hard to understand. Can you explain it to me, Ellsworth? Tell me what it means. Okay?

I'm going to add a line--my apologies to Thomas Hood. No Winchester.

No comments: