Friday, February 1, 2008

Winchester-the-Pooh


Okay, Winchester, I can see you have dressed up like your favorite children's book character. Let me see . . . red vest, jar of honey, funny little pig and grumpy-looking donkey friends. You are Winnie-the-Pooh!

The bear has a great life. He has lots of friends. Best of all he lives to eat. In all the Pooh stories, he gets to eat a lot.

But a stuffed bear? I thought you'd pick somebody brave and adventurous. Like Lassie in Lassie Come Home.

Why would I want to be a dog? Now, for elevenses I'll have salmon pate on cream crackers. And for second breakfast I want--

Hobbits have second breakfasts. You're mixing up your children's books.

Okay, I'm a stuffed bear who stops by Middle Earth for an extra meal. Did you know that The Writer made a special trip to the Donnell Public Library just to see the original Winnie-the-Pooh and the other stuffed toys? Those old stuffed animals look almost worn as you do.

Don't forget to do your Stoutness Exercises.

This post is dedicated to the Central Children's Room at the Donnell Library Center, New York Public Library

7 comments:

Becky said...

Love it, love it, love it. I was hoping he'd choose Pooh. I've always loved Pooh. But I love even more that he made Pooh visit the Shire and the Hobbits. I am a BIG believer in elevenses and second breakfasts.

ellsworth said...

The Writer loves England because they serve all sorts of extra little meals that largely involve sweets. Whenever she feels "peckish" she has a little smackerel at 10:30 or 11:00 and then an early lunch, and mid-afternoon "second lunch," etc. She needs to do her Stoutness Exercises more often.

TamraW said...

I LOVE Pooh! He's such a wise ol' bear!

He was always Alex's favorite character growing up too. She asked for The Tao of Pooh for Christmas, and really enjoyed it.

ellsworth said...

The Writer has that book! Also the Te of Piglet by the same guy. And the Pooh Quotation book when she needs a pithy quote. Can't go wrong with the wisdom of Pooh.

Pyewacket said...

Oh, Winchester, I think we are twins separated at birth! I'd be the bear of very little brain, too, in this game. When I was "very young," I had two record albums of Maurice Evans reading the books and I wore them out. As for food, I believe it is a great mistake ever to skip your elevenses and I never, evermiss tea! Like The Writer and our favorite bear, I need to do my stoutness exercises more often.

Pyewacket said...

Do you know the Latin version of Pooh's books, called Winnie Ille Pooh, I think? I must find my copy...it's in here somewhere...under a pot of hunny or behind a box of biscuits, no doubt....

ellsworth said...

The Writer doesn't have Winnie Ille Pooh. Another book for her to track down! She's delighted! Actually, The Writer identifies more with Eeyore. And the Tiggers of the world annoy her very much.