Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ellsworth's and Winchester's Literary Society, the Food Part


At last I get to create a dish that will be the name part of our new literary society. And it won't be any old potato peel pie either.

The potato peel pie in that book represented the hardships the people on Geurnsey Island faced during World War II. They didn't have much food. Making a pie out of potatoes and using the peelings for a crust showed their ingenuity in the face of adversity.

Did you swallow a dictionary for breakfast? We haven't had one meeting of our literary club yet and already I can't understand you. Okay, let's get this baby cooking. Sauce pan. Check. Frying pan. Check. Salt and pepper. Check. Pot holder. Check. Milk. Check.

I brought some stuff from the refrigerator and the pantry. Chives. A can of beets. Garlic. Olive loaf leftover from The Writer's husband's lunch--

Beets? Are you kidding me? How am I going to make a fabu dish with beets? Where's that olive loaf? I'll stir some tuna in, add a pinch of celery flakes, a handful of kibble for variety--

You eat that stuff five times a day. Some variety.

--and viola! Our literary society dish!

Looks horrible. What's it called?

Olive Loaf Celery Flake Tuna Kibble Delight.

Rolls right off the tongue. Are you eating from the pan? I don't think you're ready for any society.

No comments: