Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Becoming Real


What's all this stuff?

Just looking at one of The Writer's Easter displays. She loves Easter and puts out vintage postcards and greeting cards and books about bunnies and duckies. And this book.

The Velveteen Rabbit. What's that about?

This is my favorite book of all time. I'm reading it again because of something The Writer said when she came back from her last school visit. She shows slides of you--

Always a crowd-pleaser.

--and me. One of the kids asked if I had eyes. The Writer forgets that to other people, I'm this shabby old thing.

Compared to my youthful good looks and exuberance, it's not hard to see why. Did you have eyes?

Of course I had eyes! Nice gold ones. But they fell out, one at a time. And my red velvet-lined ears and feet got rubbed away. And my plush is worn down to the fabric. But I'm still me. In fact, I'm more than me. I'm Real.

Is that what happens in The Velveteen Rabbit? The rabbit becomes real?

Yes, the rabbit does become a real rabbit, but I'm more like the wise old Skin Horse. He says, "Real isn't how you are made. It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

How long does this becoming Real take?

A long time. In the book the Skin Horse says, "Once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand. Once you are real, you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

So it doesn't bother you when other people think you're old and kind of crummy-looking?

Not the least little bit. It's what inside that counts, right? Right, Winchester?

If I ate this chocolate bunny, should I start with the ears or just bite his whole head off?






2 comments:

Becky said...

I love the Velveteen Rabbit.

ellsworth said...

I read The Velveteen Rabbit to Winchester. He cried at the end but he said it was allergies.