Friday, October 30, 2009

Winchester's 1920s Hallowe'en




It's that time of year again. And this year The Writer is planning an old-fashioned 1920's Hallowe'en. You know Hallowe'en was originally for grown-ups. They threw big parties and dressed up in costumes. Kids didn't get in the picture until the 1940s. Anyway, you're going to wear an authentic 1920s costume! And you'll sit by the door when The Writer hands out candy to the trick or treaters.

Does this mean I'm get to be a gangster? Oh, boy! Call me Al Cat-one. Or Pretty Boy Kitty. Or Clawed from Bonnie and Clawed--

Stuff your Tommy gun back in your violin case. You're not going to be a gangster.

Who else was famous in the 1920s? I know! I'll be Jay Catsby in "The Great Catsby." I already have the spats--all I need are tennis whites.

You're not going to be the Great Catsby. In the 1920s people didn't dress up like people of their time. They dressed up like milkmaids and Cleopatra.

But I'm not a girl.

The Writer's husband has said you're not much of a boy, either. The guys in those days dressed up like . . . clowns.

Clowns? You mean with red noses and great big shoes?

Yes! Like Harlequin and Puccini's Pagliacci--like the costumes from this old pattern book.

Oh, no! I'm not putting on that hideous wig! Get those jingle bells away from me! I'm going over the wall! I will not be a party to The Writer's stupid Hallowe'en party!

Come back! You don't have your red nose on yet!




6 comments:

jama said...

Winchester, your clown wig is hysterical. But I'm worried about your being so close to the electrical outlet . . .

TamraW said...

LOL! I love your costume Winchester - I hope you came out of hiding long enough to greet a few trick or treaters.

ellsworth said...

Winchester is forever chewing on electrical cords, the phone cord, playing near outlets . . . he's still very much with us.

*Hey! Can I help it I'm a risk-taker?*

ellsworth said...

It rained on Halloween and we had very few trick-or-treaters. So The Writer is getting rid of all that extra candy--

*She even eats it for breakfast!*

Kirsten said...

Congratulations on The Writer's book! She must be very excited!

- Kirsten (paisleylanevintage.typepad.com)

ellsworth said...

The Writer is excited about her latest book . . . but she's always more into the book she's working on. She actually forgets about the books that are published!

*She also forgot to feed me elevenses today!*